If you’re looking for a way to earn Pokemon Go Coins without spending real money and keeping your experience a Free-To-Play one, defending gyms is one of the best methods. Gyms are located throughout the world and allow players to battle each other for control. By winning battles and defending a gym, players can earn coins which can be used to purchase useful items like incubators, lure modules, and more.
Here’s everything you need to know about defending gyms and earning coins in Pokémon Go.
Before we dive into the strategies for defending gyms, let’s first take a closer look at what they are and how they work.
Gyms are locations in the game where players can battle each other for control. Each gym can hold up to six Pokémon at a time, and the goal is to defeat all of the opposing Pokémon in order to take control of the gym. Once a gym is under your control, you can place one of your own Pokémon in the gym to defend it.
Gyms are typically located at popular landmarks, such as parks or public buildings. You can see the location of gyms on the in-game map, and you can also view details about the gym, including which Pokémon are currently defending it.
Each gym in Pokemon Go can be claimed by one of the three teams. Once a team has claimed a gym, they can place their own Pokemon in the gym to defend it. This is where the team aspect comes in – players from the same team can work together to defend a gym by placing their own Pokemon in the gym and battling against other players who attempt to take control of it.
Now that we understand what gyms are, let’s talk about how to defend them and earn coins.
The first step is to find a gym that is controlled by your team. Gyms can be controlled by one of three teams: Instinct (yellow), Mystic (blue), or Valor (red). You can only place your Pokémon in a gym that is controlled by your team.
Once you’ve found a gym controlled by your team, you can place one of your own Pokémon in the gym to defend it. It’s important to choose a Pokémon with high CP (combat power) and strong attacks, as this will make it more difficult for other players to defeat your Pokémon and take control of the gym.
Each gym can have up to six Pokemon defending it at any given time. When a player places a Pokemon in a gym, they will be able to choose one of their own Pokemon to place there. This means that if multiple players from the same team have Pokemon in the gym, they will each have a chance to place one of their own Pokemon there.
It’s also important to note that you can only place one Pokémon in a gym at a time. If the gym already has six Pokémon defending it, you’ll have to wait for one of them to be defeated before you can place your own Pokémon in the gym.
Now to the fun part where you are actually earning in game currency! Once you have a Pokémon defending a gym, you can start earning coins. Every 10 minutes that your Pokémon defends a gym, you’ll earn one coin. The maximum number of coins you can earn in a day is 50.
It’s important to note that you don’t have to defend the gym for a full 10 minutes in order to earn a coin. Even if your Pokémon is defeated after just a few minutes, you’ll still earn a coin for the time it was defending the gym.
Your coins will be given to you as soon as your Pokemon has been knocked out of the gym. So even in the scenario that your Pokemon stays at the gym for over a day, your credits will be given on the day that your Pokemon has been knocked out. And remember, it is always capped at 50 per day.
Once you have earned some PokeCoins, you can use them to buy a variety of items that can help you in your Pokémon journey. Here are some things that you can spend your PokeCoins on:
- Poké Balls: You can use PokeCoins to purchase additional Poké Balls to catch more Pokémon.
- Incense: Incense is an item that attracts more Pokémon to your location for 30 minutes. You can use PokeCoins to purchase more incense to help you catch more Pokémon.
- Lucky Eggs: Lucky Eggs are items that double the amount of experience points you earn for 30 minutes. You can use PokeCoins to purchase more Lucky Eggs to level up faster.
- Lures: Lures are similar to incense, but they are placed on a PokéStop and attract Pokémon to that location for 30 minutes. You can use PokeCoins to purchase more Lures to help you catch more Pokémon. There are different types of elemental lures that serve different purposes.
- Star Pieces: Star Pieces will increase your star dust collection for 30 minutes.
- Lucky Eggs: Lucky Eggs will increase your XP gain for 30 minutes.
- Egg Incubators: Egg Incubators are items that allow you to hatch eggs faster. You can use PokeCoins to purchase additional Egg Incubators to help you hatch more eggs.
- Bag and Storage Upgrades: As you catch more Pokémon, your bag and storage will fill up quickly. You can use PokeCoins to purchase upgrades to increase the size of your bag and storage.
- Premium Raid Passes: Premium Raid Passes are used to participate in Raid Battles. You can use PokeCoins to purchase additional Premium Raid Passes to participate in more Raids.
- Remote Raid Passes: Remote Raid Passes are used to participate in Raid Battles from a distance. You can use PokeCoins to purchase additional Remote Raid Passes to participate in Raids even if you can’t physically be at the gym.
- Revives & Potions: These items are to restore your Pokemon’s health.
- Raid & Trainer Boxes: These boxes typically contain a combination of items ranging from raid passes, to potions, berries, incubators, and more.
- Stickers: Want to add some fun and unique stickers to your gifts? Why not purchase some of these.
- Team Medallion: This item is great for you if you’re looking to switch teams in Pokemon Go. Whether you recently learned that all your friends are on a different team, or just wanted to join up with a different group, the Team Medallion can help you achieve that.
Best Pokemon For Defending Gyms
The best Pokemon for defending gyms in Pokemon Go are those that have high CP (combat power) and strong defensive abilities. To get you started, here are some top choices:
Blissey is a Normal type Pokemon and is one of the best defenders in the game due to its incredibly high HP (health points) and decent defensive stats. Its massive HP pool makes it difficult to take down quickly, especially with its formidable Defense and Special Defense stats.
Snorlax is another Normal type Pokemon with high HP and decent defensive stats. Its bulk and access to moves like Body Slam and Earthquake make it an excellent defender.
Chansey is a pre-evolution of Blissey and shares its high HP and decent defensive stats. It also has access to moves like Soft-Boiled, which allows it to heal itself and stay in battle longer.
Lapras is a Water/Ice type Pokemon with high HP and decent defensive stats. Its typing gives it a variety of resistances and its access to moves like Ice Beam and Surf make it a strong defender.
Steelix is a Steel/Ground type Pokemon with high Defense and Special Defense stats. Its typing gives it resistances to many common types of attacks and its access to moves like Earthquake and Iron Tail make it a formidable defender.
Using this method is especially helpful if you are a free-to-play player, PokeCoins can help you catch more Pokemon, level up faster, participate in raids, and upgrade your bag and storage. Defending gyms is one way to earn PokeCoins for free. With so many useful items available for purchase, players can customize their gameplay experience to suit their needs and preferences. So whether you’re a casual player or a hardcore Pokemon enthusiast, PokeCoins can help you become the best trainer you can be so be sure to get involved with your local gyms.